Magazine References

As I was aware that we would be required to create our own magazines for a slasher movie I decided to carry out some research into the topic. What I found was quite different to what I expected a slasher magazine to look like however it also placed some ideas within my mind and how I could incorporate some of the ideas into my work and designs. One of the design concepts that stood out to me the most is the Empire Magazine featuring the Dark Knight with the Jokers face on the front cover. The general colour palette used really conveys the genre of the film he is from and also extreme level of make-up used to portray his character as who the Joker with the dark eye shadow devious smile and bright red lipstick. However what I noticed to be the case with all of the horror magazine posters that I looked into is that they all share the same conventional layouts. The mast head remains at the top as it would with any of other magazine in most cases excluding the Dark Knight magazine the featured film title is placed at the foot of the magazine while the header region of magazine is reserved for the main image to be represented along with any additional stories or important features within the magazine. Furthermore the magazines follow the convention of having cover stories placed underneath other text such as the Suicide Squad magazine having The Revenant the Black Mass and so on underneath the text above it, Not immediately visible but still shows homage to the film producers that created the product. In most cases the barcode tends to be at the bottom right hand side of the magazine however the Suicide squad magazine has placed it underneath the mast head which breaks the conventional layout for a magazine, however it really does emphasize the concept of there being a main image within a magazine as nothing else should be overlapping it or covering it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror Hound Magazine Analysis